Sunday, June 27, 2010

Recommendations for a progressive summer reading list.

Know thy lot, Know thine enemies, Know thyself.”

“Know thy enemy and know thy self and you will win a hundred battles.”
Sun Tzu Wu

The following books will help you follow this maxim.

The Family. What is amazing about this book, besides the scariness of the religious right's reach is the undercurrent of how religion is a vehicle to allow people to conform to a hierarchical organization.

I wanted to get a take on how this is happening in Canada but I have to wait until I get to the head of the Calgary Public Library's queue for The Armageddon Factor.

In the meantime, I have been ploughing through a few others that are interesting and relevant. Conservatives Without Conscience outlines how the Authoritarian tendencies of recent Republican leaders and their followers have damaged the United States political system. It is so good I might have to open up the change purse and buy a copy.

And if you have read that one, you need to follow it up with The Authoritarians by Dr. Bob Altemeyer from the University of Manitoba. Really good. And free to download!

I expect to be quoting from both of the latter books extensively in future posts. After I finish The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest.
Recommend this Post

1 comment:

sassy said...

Thanks for the recommendations.