Sunday, April 7, 2019

The Fake Scandal as a B Movie Monster

Many a mediocre Sci-Fi plot involves a monster that feeds off negative emotions.  If only the poor humans could resist the temptation to look in go down those stairs.  To open that book they were warned not to read.  To look in that closet (scarier yet, you might find Harper in there).

Lots of blood and guts are spilled.  But if you don't look, the monster recedes.  Not totally.  The spectre is still there to be re-awoken in the sequel.  Cue the credits.

This current fake scandal is much the same.  The media will only keep this farce going if it generates clicks.  If you want the nightmare to end don't feed the monster.  Deny it the oxygen.  Don't click on articles about the fake heroines.  If a "Progressive" Blogger (my bad, it isn't a blog.  It is a website) has a scurrilous heading on his blog website post promising explosive details, just scroll on past.  Let him and the other hagiographers at Maclean's, the National Post and the other publications with a political agenda wither on the vine.  Don't boost their revenue by clicking on that story.

Let the story fade into a bad memory.
Recommend this Post

1 comment:

brawnfire said...

Hi,CV,
I pretty much practice what you preach. Any trial and error on my part is due to sorting the wheat from the chaffe; finding out who's who on the political spectrum: Clicking on and reading the less obvious Prog Blog posts to get a sense of where the blogger's coming from. That way, I've stepped into the doodoo a time or two; on the other hand, that's how I discovered you.
So far, comfortable to come back, and to comment.
I get recommended readings all the time on my tablet: whether I read depends entirely on where they come from. I bypass any headline links to the NP, the Toronto Sun, CTV; only read others with palatable headlines--If the headline already offends me I'm not going there, or here. (if that strategy ever fails me, it's because we know headlines can be deceiving)
I think it unwise for bloggers to link to such articles. Best to recap/paraphrase what they say with out offering the hit piece any more click bait. I recommend, rather, using the strategy "we read/listen and report so you don't have to."