Sunday, November 2, 2008

Ennui begone. It's Friday Night (+1.5)

I see my lifetime problem with deadlines manifested itself through Halloween and preparations for my wife's birthday yesterday. I will have to figure out a way to get this done earlier since ski season is coming and Friday nights will be busy.

I had been felling a bit of despair after reading this on top of the election results and the subsequent Liberal embarkation on the path to folly. But then reading a few follow ups such as this, and reading a few posts which outline the fissures in Toom Tabard's reign I came around.

I must beg for forgiveness for my tardiness and offer the following to complete the full spectrum ride from metal to country to 80's folk with this:


Time to rise up off the mat.

Further to the aforementioned birthday of the still captivating and marathon training Mrs. Vigilant, I came upon the Mary Ellen Carter video by looking for "45 Years". Alas, a live performance of this does not seem to exist although the covers are legion.

We are approaching the halfway point of the song's title and, at the risk of appearing maudlin, the opening words and chorus mean as much to me now as they did when we sang them together on trips to the mountains before kids and all the rest of life together that have made the years pass by so memorably.:

Where the earth shows its bones of wind-broken stone
And the sea and the sky are one
I'm caught out of time, my blood sings with wine
And I'm running naked in the sun
There's God in the trees, I'm weak in the knees
And the sky is a painful blue
I'd like to look around, but Honey, all I see is you.

The summer city lights will soften the night
Til you'd think that the air is clear
And I'm sitting with friends, where forty-five cents
Will buy another glass of beer
He's got something to say, but I'm so far away
That I don't know who I'm talking to
Cause you just walked in the door, and Honey, all I see is you

(CHORUS)
And I just want to hold you closer than I've ever held anyone before
You say you've been twice a wife and you're through with life
Ah, but Honey, what the hell's it for?
After twenty-three years you'd think I could find
A way to let you know somehow
That I want to see your smiling face forty-five years from now.

Recommend this Post

No comments: